Sunday, July 28, 2013

VALENTINE'S DAY IN KOREA

     Fish-shaped bread sold along the streets in South Korea makes me curious every time I see them in Korean dramas.  It was disappointing not to find one on my first visit back in 2012. Who'd have thought that I'd get some as Valentine's gift?! 
    My husband handed me a cute, white paper bag on the eve of Valentine's Day. "An advanced gift", he said. He always know how to make me smile. I almost jumped out of excitement when I saw what's inside! Three bungeoppangs!
     An ahjussi (old man/ uncle) opened his bungeoppang shop just near our apartment. It's only 2,000 Won for 3 bungeoppangs. Finally, I got to see and sample them. They are actually waffles with bean paste filling, best consumed while still hot...perfect during winter.
cute bungeoppang wrapper
bungeoppang

     Come February 14, everything sweet went up a few thousand Wons. I went to Daiso and M-Mart to get something for my Chagiyah (sweetheart). I spent less than 10,000 KRW for my gifts- cute chocolates, picture frame and some colorful paper for my note.
picture frame card and "kyooti" chocolates

     The supermarkets and stores were packed with girls buying chocolates, cards and candies. This lovely picture frame card and chocolate lollipops caught my attention days ago. I just couldn't buy them in advance because he might see them before I get to give it to him.
     I placed a note in the picture frame card instead of putting our picture since I didn't bring any photo of us from Manila. I could hardly wait to surprise him... but I was just as surprised when he got home and got me another gift. Chocolates in heart-shaped box and more! 
     He told me later that he dropped by M-Mart, too, to get me something, that he wouldn't let the day pass without giving me something. Probably because this is our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife and we're not sure if we'll both be in South Korea next Valentine's Day. He also said that the Atlas chocolates were gifts from the ahjummas (old ladies) in the company. Oh, sweet ahjummas. They fancy my husband like a nephew.
sweets from my sweet!

     I didn't touch the chocolates until after 2 days. A day short of its first week on our desk, he noticed it wasn't Ferrero! Haha...
     His heart sank and I pitied him so much. He was going to get me a Ferrero but got fooled by the grocery shelves' arrangement because the chocolates with the same packaging were all mixed up at the same rack. Bad thing was, it's as the same price as the original Ferrero Rocher with 80% less of the quality. This Free Romance chocolate is not a Korean product, though. Almost all of the Korean snacks and chocolates I bought from the grocery are good.
     Watch out for my blog on my favorite Korean snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment